How to Replace a Swivel Joint Dust Seal
When the time comes to replace a swivel joint dust seal we make the ordering process as easy as 1…2…3 at Swivel Joints. You’ll find the steps to replace a swivel joint dust seal are simple when you follow the directions below.
The directions and illustrations here describe the simple step-by-step method to replace the main seal and the dust seal in an OPW swivel joint.
1. Clean chamber thoroughly, grease new main seal and place seal in chamber of swivel joint body. (For 3200 Series, grease and install back-up ring also.)
2. Thoroughly clean bearing and seal surfaces, then install new felt dust seal (or greased O-ring dust seal) around minor diameter of groove on swivel joint tail.
3. Insert tail into body. Hold dust seal snug in groove of tail so that it will completely enter dust seal chamber. Slight hand pressure is required to force tail into O-ring Seal.
4. Align the ball grooves in tail with ball grooves in body to allow easy entry of balls into the bearing races. Slowly rotate tail back and forth as balls are inserted until both races are filled to capacity with balls.
5. Thread in ball retainers until contact is made with balls, then back off slightly to prevent sticking or binding.
6a. On swivels with dual ball retainers, thread on jam nut. Hold ball retainer in position with a hex wrench while locking jam nut with an open-end wrench. Lubricate.
6b. On swivels with a single ball retaining plug, back off so that the nearest slot is in line with the cotter pin hole. Lock in position with cotter pin and lubricate.
If you have any questions or concerns during the ordering or replacement process, we can be reached by phone toll-free at 866-761-7225.
This entry was posted in swivel joint dust seal
and tagged swivel joint dust seal
. Bookmark the permalink